WATER & ENVIRONMENTAL SANITATION SPECIALIST, NOD
POST TITLE: WATER & ENVIRONMENTAL SANITATION SPECIALIST, NOD.
VACANCY NUMBER: VN-NGR-05-2011
CONTRACT TYPE: Fixed Term
DURATION: Two years
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: 21 June 2011
UNICEF Nigeria seeks the services of experienced Water & Environmental Sanitation Specialist that will be responsible for the development, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the sanitation and hygiene component of the Water & Environmental Sanitation sector within the Nigeria country programme. The incumbent is expected to contribute to the overall achievement of targets in the Federal Government of Nigeria FGN-UNICEF country programme as it relates to Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH).
The successful candidate will be expected to carry out the following duties:
1. Participate in the formulation and development of WASH programme goals especially for Sanitation and Hygiene component, strategies and approaches for the UNICEF plan of cooperation. Plans, implements and monitors assigned activities.
2. Participate in the preparation of all WASH programme reports for management, board, donors including, budget reviews, programme analyses annual reports, etc.
3. Participate with UNICEF/government/and other partners in the development of strategies, methodologies and identification of new approaches for improving sanitation component of WASH programme delivery, with emphasis on advocacy, community participation and social mobilization.
4. Ensure the preparation of the Situation Analysis and its periodic update. Prepare sectoral input to the Country Programme Document (CPD) and all related documents, (e.g., WASH Programme Plan of Operations (PPO), Annual Work Plans (AWP), strategies etc.), for sanitation and hygiene component.
5. Provide technical support to government and non-government organizations at the national, regional and provincial levels in the planning, development and implementation stages of the sanitation and hygiene component of WASH programme. Plans, organizes and conducts training and orientation activities for government personnel and beneficiaries, for the purpose of capacity building at the National and Field Office levels, and expansion of coverage of services.
6. Undertake field visits, and surveys in order to monitor and evaluate project implementation. Identifies problems and proposes remedial action. Identifies alternative courses of action, to accelerate/improve programme delivery.
7. Develop the workplan for the sub sector and monitors compliance to ensure objectives and targets are met and achieved. Guides the professional staff in field offices. Ensure their training needs are met, and provides on-the-job training.
8. Coordinate with Operations/Supply staff on supply and non- supply assistance activities. Approve disbursement of funds ensuring proper utilization and accountability, and that the activities are within established plans of action, and the programme budget allotments
9. Coordinate activities and exchange information/ideas with other programmes, to contribute to achievement of overall country programme objectives. Participate in establishing effective monitoring, information and reporting systems, and in the development of communication materials and strategies to support advocacy and community participation.
10. Reviews and evaluates the technical, institutional and financial feasibility and constraints of WASH programmes/projects in coordination and collaboration with government and other partners. Contributes to regional initiatives on Community-led Total Sanitation (CLTS).
Minimum qualification & competencies:
Advanced university degree in Water, Environmental Sanitation, Public Health or a related technical field. .
Eight years progressively responsible professional work experience at the national level in programme planning, management, monitoring, and evaluation in water and environmental sanitation.
Current knowledge of the latest developments and technology in sanitation and hygiene sector.
Proven ability to conceptualize, develop, plan and manage programmes, as well as to impart knowledge and teach skills.
Leadership, teamwork abilities, managerial and supervisory skills
Good analytical, negotiating, communication and advocacy and networking skills.
Ability to make timely and quality judgments and decisions, maturity and cultural sensitivity.
Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organization.
Computer skills, including internet navigation and various office applications.
Initiative, passion and commitment to UNICEF’s mission and professional values.
If you are interested in the position and meet the requirements, please forward your application in a sealed envelope marked ‘confidential’ quoting the vacancy number addressed to:
The Human Resources Manager, UNICEF, UN House, Plot 617/618, Central Area District, P.M.B 2851, Garki Abuja by close of business on Tuesday, 21 June 2011.
Your application should include a completed UN Personal History Form (which can be downloaded from here); your curriculum vitae with your current detailed contact information to include a telephone number & email address and a one-page summary statement that describes how your experience and qualification relate to the job description above.
UNICEF, a smoke-free environment, is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staff. Well qualified candidates, particularly women are strongly encouraged to apply.